The History of T-Shirts.. Fun facts for your back pocket!
So as you know, our business is all about the upcycling of T-Shirts! This got us thinking, do we really know where the T-shirt originated?
This blog post is totally going to be one of those 'I learnt it online' facts to keep in your back pocket should the conversation ever come up- you never know! For me, i'm storing this with the 'I saw it on Tik Tok' facts that I already have lined up to make me look smart
Sooooo... without further ado- here are some facts about the T-Shirt!
- A T-Shirt, or a tee shirt, is a style of fabric shirt named after the T shape of its body and sleeves (Is it me or does this sound like a question you would find in a quiz? Your welcome)
- Traditionally, it has short sleeves and a round neckline, known as a crew neck which lacks a collar. They are generally made from stretchy, light and inexpensive fabric and are easy to clean (now- all those mom and dads out there who do the laundry.. i'm not convinced by this fact due to the state of my children's shirts sometimes- can you relate?)
- The T-Shirt originated from undergarments used in the 19th century and evolved during the mid 20th century into general-use casual clothing (seriously- could you ever imagine not having a tee in your closet??)
- Labourers in the 19th century used to cut their jumpsuits in half to keep cool in warmer months during the year- The first manufactured t-shirt was invented between the Mexican- American war in 1898, and 1913 when the US Navy began issuing them as standard undershirts. (now i'm sounding smart- thanks Mr Google)
- Around two BILLION t-shirts are sold a year in the US and the average person from Sweden buys 9 T-Shirts a year (again... Quiz time.. your welcome)
- Printing on a T-Shirt started around the 1950's where companies in Miami and Florida started to decorate them with resort names and other tourist attractions.
So today, printed Tees are a staple in any wardrobe. Custom T-shirts are used as a method of personal expression through which individuals can express their political and social views, advocate for causes, or simply amuse others. Which brings us on to our next point- we have searched the internet to bring you what we think are some of the most awesome T-shirts that are sure to make you giggle:
Well, if there ever were a relatable shirt- this is the one!! No Marty.. DO NOT come to 2020.. in fact, let's leave 2021 out for now too. You can get this shirt from https://www.soulmiacollection.com/ or by clicking here
Okay, if your easily offended, look away now... OMG I just laughed so hard at this one! Seriously though, whoever thinks up these kinds of things are geniuses! Im off to get this one for myself! You can get your too by visiting www.lightinthebox.com or by clicking here
Whats you'r favourite tee? Id love to hear from you! Do you still wear it or is it hiding in the closet collecting dust? We know that fashions change and that clothing wears-and that my friends, is why we created RE-Vive the TEE- You spoke and we listened! We can help you breathe new life into those special shirts with a T-Shirt memory quilt.
With mothers days fast approaching- why not treat that lovely lady in your life with a super unique gift? Or perhaps you are doing a little spring cleaning and have found all of those wonderful shirts you cannot part with (but you so desperately need the closet space) Why not treat yourself? Whatever the reason or occasion, our promise to you is that you are going to adore your new T-shirt quilt and the feelings and memories it reignites.
Starting from only $150 with FREE return shipping Canada wide, and in just three simple steps, we are Canada's #1 choice when it comes to memory T-Shirt Quilts and we would love to make you one too -
Check out our options here
RE-Vive the TEE